The major features of Optifine are customizable graphics, support for HD Textures (custom terrain and item textures), more realistic skies with colors, clouds and stars, antialiasing , better lighting, fog control, mipmaps (reduces block distortion) and much more. It is possible to use an early version of the Shaders Mod , but using both together is not recommended because they may conflict with each other.
Optifine is a mod about the game Minecraft in which you can use to enhance and tweak your client. If you don’t know what a client or modifying in Minecraft, I suggest reading this tutorial: [http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/1008458-your-first-mod/]
Optifine does NOT offer most of the features that the Shaders Mod offers, but it adds support for most existing shader packs . You can read more about shaders here: [http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/1929760-shaders-mod/]
How to install minecraft shaders with optifine
- Download the shaders mod to your desktop . (this tutorial is for computer users only! For mobile apps users, do not download this file)
- Download optifine from [http://optifine.net/downloads] to your desktop.
- Open both files using a zip software. Not the built in windows one or winrar, but a third party one such as 7zip or WinZip.
- Open optifine, and drag all the files inside of it into the zip file that contains the shaders mod which you downloaded earlier.
- Run Minecraft and click on Options at the main menu, then click on Video Options.
- Check the Shaders box, then select a shader pack that you downloaded earlier.
- Run Minecraft and play!
- If it doesn’t work, go to Step 1 again then read carefully before moving on.
What is Optifine and what does it do for Minecraft players?
Optifine is a mod for improving your Minecraft client’s performance and quality. You can use it to either just improve the graphics of Minecraft, or you can turn on fancy animations and other effects that don’t affect gameplay.
What are the features of Optifine?
With this mod installed, you have access to graphical settings such as BetterGrass, BetterSnow and so on.
You can also change the rendering mode to either better smooth lighting or dynamic lightning, which makes it look a bit more realistic. There are many other features of Optifine but I won’t get into detail about them because this tutorial is already long enough.
Optifine also enables you to use HD textures and HD fonts (texts in the game).
You can enable and disable animations like: Liquid particles, Cloud shadows and waving grass.
Can I combine Optifine with the Shaders Mod?
Yes, but it might cause lag or errors on your end. You should either stick to one or find a way to merge them if you really want both.
Is it safe to install?
Yes, this mod doesn’t affect gameplay and only affects the graphics. It has little to no effect on your game’s performance. If it does, please uninstall Optifine immediately because you should be playing with another mod that causes that problem.
The benefits of using Optifine while playing Minecraft
- Better FPS (Frames per second)
- Greatly improved graphical settings
- Allows you to use HD textures and custom terrain or item textures.
- There are no real compatibility issues with other mods, but some might cause errors with the client. – If it is installed correctly, your game won’t crash if you click the “Video Settings” button at the main menu.
- Allows you to use HD fonts in Minecraft
- You can enable and disable animations like white waving grass, cloud shadows etc.
Optifine is not a shader pack and you can’t use both at the same time, this tutorial was so that you know how to install Shaders with Optifine. I still think it’s better to go for shaders if we’re talking about graphics only since it has more features than Optifine. If you want to use shaders and Optifine at the same time, you first need to install the Minecraft Forge API.