You may have accidentally upgraded to Windows 10 Mobile or found it difficult to roll back. Here’s how you can do so.
The first wave of Lumia handsets should be updated to Windows 10 Mobile on December 14. After months of testing as part of the Windows Mobile Insider program, Windows Mobile 10 has finally reached a stable version, however many Windows Phone users may not like the new product. That’s why we’ve put together this comprehensive guide on reverting from Windows 10 Mobile to a more stable version for a variety of devices. Windows Phone 8.1 is the latest version of Windows Phone.
There are several reasons to be disappointed with the transition to Windows 10 Mobile: early users of the Lumia 950/950 XL complain that their flagships do not operate as quickly as we would want, that there are numerous faults, and that the UI is weird. All of these upgrades may operate significantly worse on previous Lumias. Also, individuals who have installed an experimental release of Windows Mobile 10 via the Insider program will be able to follow the instructions.
Fortunately, Microsoft has made the process of reverting to Windows Phone 8.1 a breeze. USB cable, smartphone running Windows 10 Mobile (previously WP8), Windows utility, and Windows Phone Recovery Tool are all you’ll need.
How to go back to Windows Phone 8.1 from Windows 10 Mobile:
- Download and install the Windows Phone Recovery Tool from Microsoft’s website.
- Connect your smartphone to your computer via USB after running the software. Unplug the device and hit the «Phone is not identified» button at the bottom if it is not immediately discovered by Windows Phone Recovery Tool.
- Select the model in the popup that opens once the smartphone has been recognized. After a brief wait, the tool provides device information as well as the option to downgrade Windows Phone.
- The Windows Phone Recovery Tool will then urge you to back up all of the data on your smartphone. Because all data would be lost after the rollback, it is strongly advised.
- After the backup is complete, the program will immediately download and install the firmware for Windows Phone 8.1 on your smartphone. The file size is around 1.7 GB. Depending on the speed of the Internet, the loading time may vary. In any event, keep your smartphone connected to your computer throughout the startup and recovery procedure.
- It will show an appropriate message if everything goes smoothly. Again, congratulations on your Windows Phone 8.1 smartphone.
- After a successful rollback, you must re-create all start settings on your smartphone in order to sign in to Microsoft and restore the backup.
MicroSD cards in smartphones may be used as backup alternatives, allowing you to transfer all of your data and save it in OneDrive or any other cloud service for Windows Mobile.
Have you discovered a blunder? Ctrl + Enter will highlight the text.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I revert back to Windows 8.1 from Windows Phone 10?
A: To revert back to Windows 8.1, you would need to use a program called Windows Easy Transfer. You can then copy all of your files and settings from the old computer that is running Windows 10 on its hard drive onto your new computer with Windows 10 installed.
Does Windows Phone 8.1 still work?
A: Yes, Windows Phone 8.1 is still fully functional and supported by Microsoft for developers to build apps on the platform. However, its no longer updated past version 9586 due to lack of development in the mobile space
How do I restore my Windows Phone?
A: You can use this guide to install Windows Phone again on your device.